Query: Possessor Raising

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu May 18 14:32:58 UTC 2000

On Thu, 18 May 2000, SHEA KATHLEEN DORETTE wrote:

> In answer to Bob's query, I asked Parrish Williams (a native speaker of
> Ponca) today for a translation for 'My dog died' in Ponca and got "s^inuda
> witta t?e."  When I asked him for something like 'The/my dog died on me,'
> I got "s^inuda (witta) iN-t?e."

In a side letter, Bob reminded me that the Osage pattern for the dative is
aN + gi => aN', not iN' (as in Omaha-Ponca).  So this may well be the
correct form for the dative in Quapaw (and would be in Osage).  Neither of
us has tried to look for evidence on the inflection of the dative in
Quapaw yet.

Is there a similar construction in Dakotan?