Two argument statives.

SOUP soup at vm.inext.cz
Tue May 23 12:37:27 UTC 2000

R. Rankin wrote:

> The particular verbs involved include the following: Dakotan: 'like/be
> pleasing to, look like/resemble, be as X as, be next to, be proud of;
> and Osage 'love' and 'be tired of'. Perhaps there are more such. I'd like
> to include what we know at least about cognacy among this class of 2
> argument statives. Can any of you tell me quickly if you have such
> verbs and what their form is in the language of your choice.

There might be a reason (one that I am not aware of) why you didn't include
tha'wa (Buechel's Lakota Grammar  #118, 3b, p. 210) in your list, for it
seems well known (I think it's somewhere in Boas&Deloria, too):

Mani'thawa I am thine.
Nimi'thawa Thou art mine.

Another one is:
ini'haN - to fear someone/something (ini'manihaN - I fear you).

I do not have Legendre and Rood (1992) and Quintero (1997) so I am not
informed up-to-date. Anyway, here is a list of other verbs that are
theoretically 2 argument statives (I think); unfortunately I have no
evidence of their "-mani-" or "-nima-" form:

iyo'waz^a (< owa'z^a) - to be of someone's business (iyo'mawaz^a - it is of
my business)
iki'phi - to fit for; be worth of (ima'kiphi - I fit for it / I am worth of
it)
ima'g^g^a - to be amused with (ima'mag^g^a - I am amused with it)
ic^a'h^taka - to bump into (ima'k^ah^take - I bumped into it)
ic^a'kiz^a - to suffer because of (ima'kakiz^e - I suffer because of it)
itho'kapha - to be elder than (mitho'kapha - I am elder than him)
i'thokec^a - be different from (i'mathokec^a - I different from him)
iwa's^te - to benefit from (ima'was^te - I benefit from it)
iwa'tokhiya - to be worried / concerned about (iwa'matokhiya)
iyóyaka - to be aggrieved by (iyo'mayake - I am aggrieved by it/him)
i'yakhapha - to surpass something / someone (i'yamakhaphe - I surpass
it/him)
iyo's^niz^a - to be dazzled by  (iyo'mas^niz^a)
iyu'taN - to be tempted by (ima'yutaN - I am tempted by)
iki'wiNkc^ekc^e - to loose interest in something (ima'kiwiNkc^ekc^e - I
lost...)
ic^a'g^i - to have something in one's way (ima'c^ag^i - I have something in
my way)
a'khilehaNkec^a - to be of same size (a'khilemahaNkec^a)
(there are many more beginning with a'khi- but you probably know these)

> be proud of;

I know of three "be proud of" statives:
iwíNkta (ima'wiNkta)
ig^uN'g^a (ima'g^uNg^e)
i'taN (i'mataN) (this one is perhaps just "be proud")

Perhaps some of this will be helpful.

> I can also send anyone who wants one a copy of the
> current revision of my conference paper via email attachment in Winword
> format with the SSDoulos font.

I'd be very much interested in it.

Jan F. Ullrich

soup at vm.inext.cz