Two argument statives.

R. Rankin r.rankin at latrobe.edu.au
Tue May 23 06:12:03 UTC 2000

Dear Colleagues,

I am trying to improve my Siouan Conference paper from last Spring
("Diachronic perspective on Active/Stative Alignment in Siouan") and
would like to include treatment of verbs with two pronominal arguments,
both of which are stative.  Boas and Deloria (1941:77f.), Legendre and
Rood (1992:158f.) and Quintero (1997:158ff.) list and discuss several of
these in Lakota and Osage.

The particular verbs involved include the following:  Dakotan: 'like/be
pleasing to, look like/resemble, be as X as, be next to, be proud of;
and Osage 'love' and 'be tired of'.  Perhaps there are more such.  I
hate to ask others to do my digging for me, but I'm off here in
Australia without my Siouan reference library and about to give a
colloquium on the topic of my last year's conference paper, and I'd like
to include what we know at least about cognacy among this class of 2
argument statives.  Can any of you tell me quickly if you have such
verbs and what their form is in the language of your choice.

I will, of course, acknowledge any help received and will be happy to
share my results.  I can also send anyone who wants one a copy of the
current revision of my conference paper via email attachment in Winword
format with the SSDoulos font.

I'm really sorry to be missing this year's Conference.