Interrogative Indefinites in Siouan

Ardis R Eschenberg are2 at acsu.buffalo.edu
Wed Oct 18 16:48:55 UTC 2000

Dear Dr. Ingham,
Hi!  I believe Van (Robert D. Van Valin) addresses this in the chapter on
focus in his book.  I'll get the pages for you.
In UmoNhoN, the same situation seems to be happening from what I've seen
so far.  That is, 'what' iNdadaN' is used also for something and sometimes
'anything.'  The latter seems more often to be translated as iNdadaN shti
'what soever.'  (The sh is s hacek in Americanist orthography, I am
forgetting the Net Siouan version of it right now).
I'm really happy there'll be a print version of your work on Noun - verb
distinction.  I really enjoyed your talk on it in Regina & have tried to
remember your points on several occasions.  It'll be nice to refer to.
Take care,
Ardis
PS Example:
INdadaN aniN-ya?   'Do you have anything?'

Also interestingly in Polish, when you use the wh-words in a question but
none of them occur first in the sentence (in the PreCore slot) and instead
you have the verb first, an indefinite reading is obtained.

Kupil  co   kto? 'Did anyone buy anything'
bought what who

So, even in European languages seem to have a similar phenomenon.  (The
above is in my MA thesis on Polish focus.)