Interrogative Indefinites in Siouan

Bruce Ingham bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Mon Oct 23 12:59:30 UTC 2000

Dear Shannon
I'm sure takuni could occur without sni to mean nothing.  There is a
 verb yatakuni 'to belittle', but normallly it is with sni.  The form
takunl is pronounced takun.  In any case I think takunl with a
sequence -nl- is unpronounceable.  Posssibly it was written that
way so that people did not pronounce it as though it ended in a
nasalized -u- like un 'to be, live'.  It is interesting that a language
only so recently submitted to writing already has 'spelling
conventions' ie unusual spellings of words.

Bruce