Interrogative Indefinites in Siouan

Bruce Ingham bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Mon Oct 30 14:13:27 UTC 2000

Dear Ardis

Thank you for your reply.  I think the intonation factor will also firt
with the information I got recently for Jerome KillsSmall of the
modern language dept of the University of South Dakota at
Vermilion, which goes as follows:

Jerome's message
"The hypothetical expression for taku is takunl, or when, tohan in
the hypothetical usage is tohanl.

Have you seen something, takunl wanlaka he
Will he arrive sometime, tohanl hihunni kte he
are you going somewhere, tokiyal la he (Because the "l" is at the
end
tokiya(l) and the beginning of la they share the "l" sound making
only the
one "l" sound.  A sort of a contraction.)
have you seen someone, tuwe wanzi wanlaka he
have you seen anyone, tuwe wanzi wanlaka he
have you found something, takunl iyeyaya he
have you seen him somewhere, tukte ekta wanlaka he (sometimes
the "e" sound
is shared by tukte ekta, tuktekta)
you will see him sometime, watohanl ake wanlakin kte lo
(was kte yelo)
can you do it somehow, tokel ecanu oyakihi he"

What is interesting about this is that he extends the -l ending seen
in takunl to also apply to tohanl and to tokiyal also using tukte ekta
for anywhere.  I have not seen these used, but it does fit in logically
with the 'hypotheticalness of the tohanl form.  Tohanl is often in
grammar books said to refer to the future in contrast to tohan which
refers to the past.  This looks like another use for tohanl sharing
the 'hypothetical' feature.

Bruce