Dhegiha 1sg 'lying' positional

R. Rankin r.rankin at latrobe.edu.au
Wed Sep 20 05:37:05 UTC 2000

I have finally been able to fill in the 1sg of the paradigm of the
'lying' positional verb, the 3rd person of which is the familiar /khe/.

Dorsey lists /miNkhe/ as the first sg. of both 'be sitting' and 'be
lying'.  I finally ran across the latter usage in Dorsey 1890 p. 620:17.

az^aN miNkhedi  'I lie by me who lie'

This is either an example of the 1sg of /khe/ or an arbitrary use of 1sg
of 'sit'.  Since JOD has the same form as part of the lying paradigm in
Quapaw and Osage, I assume it is genuine in Omaha.

The 2nd person in Quapaw and Osage is a reflex of */z^aN-khe/ but I have
yet to locate it in Omaha or Ponca.

Robert L. Rankin, Visiting Fellow
Research Center for Linguistic Typology
Institute for Advanced Study