Dhegiha -akha+LOC

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Sep 22 17:20:02 UTC 2000

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, R. Rankin wrote:
> In searching for the various locative classifiers I've run across any
> number of instances of -akha, which we are accustomed to analyzing as
> the agentive subject marker, used with the locatives -di and -tta 'at'.
> The forms are -akha'di and -akha'tta 'at the'.  ...

> Plural -amadi and -amatta are also common, ...

I've mentioned these, actually, in the past, and there was some
discussion, if me saying "I wonder what these are?" counts as discussion,
at the two Dhegiha meetings in Lincoln and Anadarko.  At the second
meeting I think I was able to observe that in several cases the reference
was plainly "center stage" or proximate.  I haven't pursued this yet.

JEK