Dhegiha -akha+LOC

R. Rankin r.rankin at latrobe.edu.au
Fri Sep 22 04:24:18 UTC 2000

In searching for the various locative classifiers I've run across any
number of instances of -akha, which we are accustomed to analyzing as
the agentive subject marker, used with the locatives -di and -tta 'at'.
The forms are -akha'di and -akha'tta 'at the'.  -Akhadi is not just a
casual contraction of -akha and edi 'there', since -akhadi can occur
immediately preceding 'there' -- -akhadi edi.  It is very hard to
reconcile the locative use of -akha with the notion of agent or subject
in the constructions where it is found.

Plural -amadi and -amatta are also common, but the possible analyses
there are more numerous, as you might expect with the additional
meanings -ama has.  Anyone interested in trying to home in on the
precise meaning/function of -akha as an article will want to look at
these.

I can provide page/line numbers in Dorsey (1890) if anyone is
interested.

--
Robert L. Rankin, Visiting Fellow
Research Center for Linguistic Typology