Dorsey -akhadi, -amadi, etc. refs.

R. Rankin r.rankin at latrobe.edu.au
Mon Sep 25 04:36:10 UTC 2000

Since there is some interest in these locative uses of -akha/-ama I'll
send along the page.line refs. from Dorsey 1890 (CNAE VI).  Those from
Dorsey's "letters" publication are so marked.  These are all taken from
the Cesnalps computer version.  The -akha's are all legit.  The -ama's
are open to interpretation in some instances.  -ama marks pl. agents
(proximates, subjects, whatever) but also is difficult to distinguish
from pl. moving nouns and the noun for 'other (side)', accented a'ma, in
a few cases.  In most instances the objects of the locative construction
are clearly stationary though (altho the subj. of the sentence may be
moving toward them).

AKHA-DI
199.18
311.7
329.2
471.7
514.1 (several others in same story)
613.6
616.1
AKHA-TTA
236.4
378.11
AMA-DI
248.11
378.14
399.2
435.2
493.8-9
587.2
679.1
696.5
705.3
705.5
letters 26.5
95.3
AMA-TTA
JOD (1890)
110.8
254.2
372.2
380.6
679.16

There were quite a few more for -ama-(LOC) but I had enough examples.
It is unclear to me that all these are "center stage".  Are we able to
distinguish between (1) proximate, (2) topic and (3) focus in this
grammar?

Enjoy.

Robert L. Rankin, Visiting Fellow
Research Center for Linguistic Typology