Lakota demonstratives

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Tue Apr 3 03:14:33 UTC 2001

>Obviously, there are three demonstratives in Lakota: le' 'this, he'
>'that', and ka' 'that over yonder'

>Do comparative Siouan data shed some more light on the
>issue?

In most Siouan languages the three seem to be reflexes of Proto Siouan

proximate:       *re ~ *Re (Dakotan from the latter)
distal:          *$e
out of sight:    *ka

aforementioned:  *?e:

At least one Dakotan dialect (Stoney?) has /z^e/ (old notes I have from
Allan Taylor) for the distal rather than /he/. I don't know where /he/ comes
from. The local reflexes of /ka/ seem to be productive in Dhegiha dialects,
but I'm afraid I don't know anything more about the Dakotan forms.

Bob

P.S. Have you returned from RCLT in Melbourne or not gone yet?