Lakota demonstratives

Wablenica mosind at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 03:20:34 UTC 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-siouan at lists.colorado.edu
[mailto:owner-siouan at lists.colorado.edu]On Behalf Of regina pustet
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2001 4:13 AM
To: siouan at lists.colorado.edu
Subject: RE: Lakota demonstratives

Regarding Connie's message, I have the follwoing frequencies for that part
of my Lakota texts that I have sampled:

he' : le' : ka'      370 : 164 : 0
hena' : lena' : kana'  154 : 83 : 0

---------------
Analysis a sample from Bushotter texts (1880s) yielded the following
results:
he' : le' : ka'  302 : 95 : 2
hena' : lena' : kana' 196 : 34 : 0
(Sorry, I couldn't filter out he' "horn(s); stands" and le' "you-go")

The instances of kakhel (33) and kakhiya (8) are rather high.

However it is not unprobable that the the system is deteriorating. The Ed
Starrs articles of the 90s (4700 words) also have no instance of ka/kana.

Perhaps it is to the point: Bushotter (63 texts out of 250) has a couple of
instances of ahituNwaN "to look in this direction" verb, together with 26
e'tuNwaN  (< ai-tuNwaN) "look in that direction",
Deloria (64 texts) has no instance of ahituNwaN:
e'tuNwaN is used both in "ekta' e'tuNwe" and "e'l e'tuNwe" cases.

Connie.