Sacred Syllable

Richard L. Dieterle Richard.L.Dieterle-1 at tc.umn.edu
Tue Apr 10 19:51:34 UTC 2001

I think this is something of interest that I have not found elsewhere:  In
battle when a great feat is accomplished, and the "holiness" of the event
requires a cessation of hostilities out of respect, a "holy syllable" is uttered
-- gu.  When anyone says gu, the battle comes to an abrupt end.  I have found
reference to this in more than one Winnebago story.  Has anyone heard of this in
other Siouan traditions?  Does anyone have an idea of the origin of this word in
that role?