Sacred Syllable

Richard L. Dieterle Richard.L.Dieterle-1 at tc.umn.edu
Tue Apr 17 20:00:20 UTC 2001

With respect to Omaha ku, in Wi Marino-Radin has ko, meaning, "to look out for,
make a place for," and kox, "to help, assist."  We also have kog / kok, meaning
"box, etc."  Besides k'o, "thunder," there is kox, "screetching (of birds)," and
the Bird Clan name, KoxmaniNga, "Walking while Making Kox."

I now find in Miner the word goo, meaning, "to give a religious feast; (with
object) to invite to a religious feast."

It may well be that gu is not Siouan at all, but Algonquin.  It would seem to be
an internationally understood expression, which makes it less likely that it is
just Wi. Apart from the three stories that mention it, I had never heard of any
such practice anywhere.

Responding to the message of
<5823BD992D67D3119F630008C7CF50FC0A441487 at skylark.mail.ukans.edu>
from siouan at lists.colorado.edu: