Orthography

Jimm G GoodTracks jggoodtracks at juno.com
Tue Apr 17 22:16:39 UTC 2001

Approximately two (2) years ago (1999), I contemplated how to make a more
precise Baxoje-Jiwere Orthography, and composed the following set to
eliminate some of the confusion with nasal verbs marked by "n", as well
as the confussion between the "ny" & "ng".

In as much as this represented a change from the orthography of IOM Bks I
& II, and the IOM Dictionary (1992), I thought it well to review the
change with community members before, formalizing the new set of
characters [fonts] (enclosed here via attachment formated via MSWord 95).

The review was carried out with an explaination of how the new characters
would facilitate an accurate rendering of the language.  A number of
community members active in their present contemporary culture and tribal
events in Perkins, Red Rock, & White Cloud were consulted.  All
individuals have partial knowledge of the IOM language from their
respective families, and/or have studied the language with others in the
respective communities.  Upon their acceptance of the proposed set, I
composed the enclosed Orthography Update (5/99).

The only character rejected was a single "c" or "c^ (hachek) for the
sound of "ch".  I suggested that it could be written  as "c^h", as we
think ahead and move towards the tentative time of new learners/ speakers
to become familiar and accepting the "c^" (hachek) for the sound in the
future, in as much as all fluent speakers are deceased.  There was no
consideration of the Greek letters theta for "th" nor delta for "dh" were
not considered.

Of late,
There has been discussion of vowel length, and possible marking of it.
This needs to be under further review.
Also, the discussions have been on-going in regard to marking aspiration
distintions.  However, as BobR. has pointed out that recordings of Truman
Dailey, Franklin Murray, Lizzie Harper, as well as, Joe Young, Betsy
Dupee Young, Mary Dupee Irving,  Grace Kihega, Ella Brown, Alice Sines,
Robert Moore, Fannie Grant (just to name a few more on record) make the
aspiration distinction 100% of the time.  So for the non-speaker of IOM,
it is a matter of learning to hear the distinctions, and accurately
reiterate/ render the spoken word.

Both Bob and John have commented on the fact that Siouan Languages are
not English.  If the student of the particular language is committed,
they will learn the orthography that has been adapted and standardized by
individuals who have been working with it over several decades, as
opposed to the recently introduced student.  For that student, if it
helps them learn it, by writing a sounding out in English glosses, then
permit them to do so.
Jimm

P.S.  In the last two years, other individuals have consulted me to
assist in rendering an accurate written form (words) and pronunciation of
their family Native names from the dot-dash English phonics of past
records.  In each case, I've written them in the updated orthography to
their satisfaction.  Others across the country, have asked for stories
and narratives, which have been sent in the updated orthography.  To
date, I have heard no negative responces, either directly nor indirectly.
 Indeed, I receive "Thank You's" of appreciation, and maybe an
occassional remark of "I can make it out (IOM)" or "I need to learn how
to read it".