Ch.Orthography

Hartwell Francis Hartwell.Francis at colorado.edu
Thu Apr 19 19:55:44 UTC 2001

Hello,

  I want to join the party.  Let me introduce myself.  I'm Hartwell
Francis at the University of Colorado.  I've started to work on the
Chiwere material we have here in our Language Center.  I particular, I
have sorted the Marsh database into a searchable format - there's a
sample below.
  The reason I write in is to respond to Lance and his work on coloring
books.  I am developing kits and procedures for creating books.  I have
used picture dictionaries to create bound books.  I have also developed
some techniques for creating alphabet books and picture books from
scratch.  I would like to share this stuff to see if it works, if anyone
has any iterest.
  Also, the best word lists may come from studies of langauge acquisition.
This lead me to wonder if there are any studies of Siouan first language
acquisition.

Hartwell

Would you like to search English or Chiwere?
en
Please type in the word:

chief
THE CHIEF''S DAUGHTER, HIS SECOND DAUGHTER THAT IS  (+WN. 2-3)
WA*'4'NE GI*HI NA'4HA* IYU*'J'NE MI*'4HA'4 NA'4HA*

ONCE UPON A TIME A CHIEF THERE WAS, THEY SAY  (+AGT. 1.1.8-9)
HA*'4WEYA'4 WA*'J'NE-GI'*HI IYA*'4 NA'4HA*N#E K'H"E

CHIEF-+MAKER (MALE; FEMALE)
WA'NE*K'HIHI-+WAO'4; +WA'NE*K'HIHI-+WAO'4MI