Lakota demonstratives

Jess Tauber Zylogy at aol.com
Wed Apr 25 12:08:31 UTC 2001

Since I posted previously I've been collecting demonstratives to look for
regularities of the sort I was proposing (T, K, KW- but also note parallel
vocalic versions I, A, U, as in Uto-Aztecan, and also proposed by others).
There is quite a bit of variability in the particular systematizations, but
all appear to be based on phonological feature oppositions taken binarily, in
multidimensional closed figures taken geometrically. Articulatory position
orally is only one possibility. Lots of languages utilize it as the basis for
systematization. Others (such as North Wakashan), use manner features.

What I find interesting here is that in a way such systematizations (as well
as those associated with pronouns, kinship terms, color terms, etc.) can
serve as kinds of "probes" to sort out the world-view/POV choices languages
have made. It will then also be interesting if it turns out that the
phonosemantic framework of expressive forms (and their diachronic
lexicalizations) end up in some sort of balanced relation (which I expect to
be true after examining several hundred languages- but only time and
statistical analysis will tell).

I'll list actual examples if anyone is interested, but I fear this is getting
way off topic Siouan-wise (oh the pain, the pain).

Jess Tauber
zylogy at aol.com