Lakota demonstratives

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Apr 3 14:41:34 UTC 2001

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Rankin, Robert L wrote:
> In most Siouan languages the three seem to be reflexes of Proto Siouan
>
> proximate:       *re ~ *Re (Dakotan from the latter)
> distal:          *$e
> out of sight:    *ka
>
> aforementioned:  *?e:
>
> At least one Dakotan dialect (Stoney?) has /z^e/ (old notes I have from
> Allan Taylor) for the distal rather than /he/. I don't know where /he/ comes
> from. The local reflexes of /ka/ seem to be productive in Dhegiha dialects,
> but I'm afraid I don't know anything more about the Dakotan forms.

My impression is that all of the grades were reasonably productive in
Omaha-Ponca c. 1900 and still are, along with du, s^u, and gu, which are
used with motion verbs and elsewhere in parallel with the dhe, s^e, ga
set.  The e 'aforementioned' (or maybe it's just the independent third
person pronoun), is also common.  There are a number of ways to shade the
meaning of the dhe/s^e/ga set with what look like verbs of motion, e.g.,
ga, gahi, gahidhe.  I tend to think of the du/s^u/gu set as somewhat like
Spanish aca, alla.

At one point I thought that the Dakota he forms might match the Dhegiha
s^e forms involving a sound correspondence also illustrated in the second
person of 'to say', e.g., Da ehe, OP es^e 'you say', perhaps *s^h, but
Stoney z^e, compared with OP s^e, Winnebago z^ee seems to suggest not.

As Bob points out, that leaves he unaccounted for.

JEK