Irregular "to eat" in Dakotan

Rgraczyk at aol.com Rgraczyk at aol.com
Wed Aug 22 20:32:33 UTC 2001

In a message dated 08/20/2001 6:45:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
John.Koontz at colorado.edu writes:

> For the record, I believe that this is the regular pattern for the lu-
> instrumental in Crow, and reflects the Crow outcome of th *r-stem
> syncopating conjugation.  Thus it would follow the alternate pattern of
> inflection for 'eat' attested in Assiniboine and Winnebago (or Dhegiha,
> etc.).

I'm not sure I'm understanding John correctly, but duushi' does not follow
the regular pattern for du- 'by hand' instrumentals in Crow.  It is irregular
in two respects: in the first person form the initial vowel of the stem is
replaced by the first person marker b-, and the accent is on the final vowel
of the stem (duushi').  In all the du- instrumentals, the instrumental prefix
bears the accent, e.g., du'tchi 'take'.

Randy