Obviative/Proximate and the Omaha verb system

Wablenica mosind at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 30 03:24:35 UTC 2001

> Rankin, Robert L:
> > In Dakotan there are
> > two allomorphs of 'plural' (at least), -pi and -u. And they occur in
> > well-defined environments with no intermediate forms that I know of.

Boas & Deloria (1941) Dakota Grammar
11. TERMINAL CONSONANTS OF CVC VEBBS

"Colloquially the terminal i of the plural pi is dropped. When it follows a
nasalized vowel and preceding the future kta, p changes to a weak uN or a
nasalized w.

he'chi ?uNyaN'wNkte? < he'chi ?uNyaN'pikte? we will go there
he'chi ya'wkte? < he'chi ya'pikte? they will go there

In other cases, preceding a /k/ the /p/ is a mere closure of the lips
without any release of breath. After a nasalized vowel it becomes either an
unvoiced /m/ or a nasalized /w/.

?eya'p k?e'yas^ they said, but
?echuN'm  k?e'yas^, or ?echuN'wN k?e'yas^ they did so, but"

Rood & Taylor (1976) further describe allomorphs of -pi
(-b, -m; -o, -oN, -u, -uN) in Pine Ridge, depending on the following
consonant and preceding vowel's height and nasalization.

Connie