Obviative/Proximate and the Omaha verb system

Wablenica mosind at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 31 12:28:56 UTC 2001

Here are some -AN verbs with nasal -a that cannot be explained with
"nasalization spread":

-hAN, to stand (and numerous compounds)
yukxAN,  to exist (for)

Plus -mA(N)/-be verbs
-mAN, 1) brood, hatch; -> -me (L.), -be (D.)
	2) file, rub, grind
is^tiNmA, to sleep.
naxmA, to conceal
mimA, circular
s^mA, deep

I have a question: all e-ablaut-triggers begin with (7)e-, k-, s-, or s^-,
with occasional l- (diminutive la). What are the generalizations?

Connie.