Ablaut (RE: Obviative/Proximate and the Omaha verb system)

Shannon West shanwest at uvic.ca
Fri Aug 31 19:48:32 UTC 2001

Okay.  I'll start out by saying that phonology usually gets the best of me,
so if I don't seem to be talking on the same thread, please set me straight.
Am I understanding the above to say that in Dakotan, the final A becomes e
before the glottal stop ending (declarative)?  If so, I don't believe this
is true of Assiniboine.

For example:
buza waNz^i mnuha7.  'I have a cat'  The a is very clearly a and not e, but
it is definitely [e] in yuhebi 'they have'.

That's one I could immediately think of, but I'm sure there's more.  The -e
form in singulars was one of the first things I noticed when I started
looking at Lakhota for insights into Assiniboine.  I'm sure they're not like
that in ASB.  Most of the verbs I can think of offhand with final ablauting
vowels just drop those vowels entirely (or sometims devoice them) in the
singular forms.

Woda -> wowad(a) 'I ate'	--> wodiNkta 'I will eat'
Yuza -> mnuz(a) 'I held it'  --> mnuziNkta 'I will hold it'

Anyway, just my $0.02.  I'll make no attempt at analysis of this, but
figured some extra data might be fun.  :)

Shannon