Instrumental/locative.

Rgraczyk at aol.com Rgraczyk at aol.com
Wed Dec 5 20:28:59 UTC 2001

In a message dated 12/05/2001 10:15:19 AM Pacific Standard Time,
John.Koontz at colorado.edu writes:

> On Wed, 5 Dec 2001 Rgraczyk at aol.com wrote:
> > Crow provides evidence for two distinct prefixes: ii (long vowel)
> > 'instrumental', and i' (short vowel, accented) 'locative'.  Instrumental
> ii
> > is a postposition, ...
>
> That is, the syntax of the instrumental construction is [NP]=ii V?  (Or
> maybe ii isn't enclitic?)  That's very nice!  I think you've mentioned
> this before, but somehow it didn't sink in that the ii was not part of the
> verb.

Actually, the ii instrumental is often proclitic on the verb, but it is much
more loosely connected to the verb than locative i'-: at times it seems to be
a separate word, and I also have examples where it precedes something other
than the verb.  Locative i'-, on the other hand, patterns with the other
locative prefixes and the instrumentals in that the person markers always
precede these prefixes in Crow.

Randy