Query: Name of French Explorer

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Tue Dec 18 16:03:08 UTC 2001

No, Cadillac never went to Siouan country. I think it was Hennepin, if
we're talking early. He, along with a fellow named Michel Accault
(Aco) were the first Frenchmen to ascend the Mississippi to the falls
of St. Anthony (Minneapolis-St.Paul).

Michael McCafferty

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Justin McBride wrote:

> Might it have been the Marquis de Cadillac?  He was a charlatan of the first
> order--starting with his title (he was by no means a marquis, and at best
> dubiously noble-born).  Supposedly he had many infamous run-ins with the
> tribes of the Lake country, although I cannot remember any of them right
> now.  I've heard he was generally not well-received in many societies, be
> they American or European.  It's pure irony that the automobiles bearing his
> name are so highly prized!

Michael McCafferty
307 Memorial Hall
Indiana University