Proverbs

Pamela Munro munro at ucla.edu
Tue Dec 18 20:34:12 UTC 2001

Like John, I am often asked for proverb-analogues in the (Siouan and
non-Siouan) languages I work on, and I actually feel that this is definitely
a genre that is not highly represented in the Americas.

One of my students has been getting some aphoristic things in Pima, but they
are mainly of the form "Marry a ___ (fill in tribe) and your ____ (fill in
body part) will _____ (fill in verb with negative consequences)" -- this
doesn't seem completely like a proverb to me!

But some non-European exotic languages are very rich in proverbs (the best
case I know of being Wolof).

I hope more people will comment on this.

Pam

--
Pamela Munro
Professor