Proverbs

Trechter, Sara STRECHTER at csuchico.edu
Tue Dec 18 22:23:20 UTC 2001

I had never really thought about this, but it seems like the entire
introduction to "Napping" from Deloria's Autobiographical texts is the
speaker trying to explain a proverb but unsuccessfully. "Napping brings on
consequences."  He goes to lengths to explain that this is because one has
dreams of the thunder being in naps. His sentence summary is in 2 below.
Thus, Deloria gives in (8) an explanation of the lost? genre, which doesn't
seem proverbial, but akin: (Please excuse my lack of making this all into
the right font. Grave accents are nasal vowels.)

Hé unwicháxcala thóiyepi kì él "Àpé ishtì'*mapi kì
   hé shíce ló, kiktáhà unpó, naíchib.Leb. Les ééománi pó;
   tókshá wí kì hé mahél iyáya chà naké? hehanl wichásha
   ishtíme ló!" Eyáya wawáhokunkhiyapi?.
2 That/ on account of/ old men/ their words/ the/ in/ "Day sleeping/ the/
   that/ bad/ in a waking state/ be!/ Rousing self by foot/ instead/ walk
   about!/ Later/ sun/ the/that/ in / it goes/ then/ at last/ then/ man/ he
   sleeps!"/ So saying/ they exhort the people.
7 Wicháxcala thóiyepi
8 Old men's precepts consisted of stock phrases, many of which are no longer
   heard or even quoted, but which were a definite group or set of
teachings.
   One I heard elsewhere was "Hàhép﷓thani'*ya kì shíce ló;
   oíyokpaza c'@'4* wakhanheza kì thíl awíchaku pó!" (The
   breath of night is evil; when darkness falls, bring the children into the
   house.")  There were ever so many more. I do not know whether they could
   be gathered at this late day. With some of these precepts, maxims, or
   what you will, to serve as texts, the old men would walk around the camp
   circle uninvited, and preach little sermonettes to the tribe.  They were
not
   always carefully attended, but they didn't seem to mind the indifference
of
   the hearers. They would go talking along anyways.

Dr. Sara Trechter, Assoc Professor
English/Linguistics, CSU, Chico
Chico, CA 95929-0830
(530) 898-4449 (office)