Proverbs

Pamela Munro munro at ucla.edu
Wed Dec 19 07:05:42 UTC 2001

I think (as probably most of you do too) you can have obscure metaphors
without proverbs. For instance, in Chickasaw (sorry; I venture a bit outside
Siouan) when you see a certain type of cloud / sky formation you can say,
"Satan is beating his wife." (Sorry; this is not a family show.) I would not
call this a proverb. However, I think it's clearly obscure / metaphorical.

Pam

--
Pamela Munro
Professor, Department of Linguistics, UCLA