Proverbs (whistling)

TLeonard-tulsa.com tleonard at prodigy.net
Thu Dec 20 16:26:28 UTC 2001

 JEK wrote:

 I seem to recall a comparable warning for either Dakota or Omaha along the
lines of "Don't whistle, you sound like a ghost."  Presumably sounding like
a ghost is bad because one either becomes one or summons one.

 I've heard similar admonishments from older Ponca folks around White Eagle,
Oklahoma. The one I always heard was: "Don't whistle while your outside at
night. You'll attract ghosts."

 The one I always loved was: "Don't eat too much fish. They'll make your
hair  grey."

 Have recordings of these and others in Ponca.

 TML