Fw: Re: Proverbs

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Dec 21 15:19:37 UTC 2001

Posted for Jimm.  Jan's mailer (or site?) is one of those that are set up
so that they short circuit the header fields that normally direct replies
to the list rather than the original sender.  For the reference of
subscribers, the From: field encodes the original sender.  The Reply-to:
field encodes the list and is added by the list server software.
Normally this will work to cause replies to come to the list, but the
ingenuity of the designers of email programs and the configurers of site
mail agents is such that sometimes this simple scheme is confounded.  It
never hurts to cast a knowing eye over the To: and Cc: fieldS of a letter
before you press the send button.