Self-Intro/Chiwere

Lance Foster ioway at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 14 14:07:49 UTC 2001

Thanks to everyone for the nice welcome!

Mirzayan Armik wrote:
>I have been working on morphological and syntactic analysis ofChiwere texts
that were recorded by Marsh and Dorsey.

I have a couple of things up on our Ioway website you might be interested in.
Like all websites, it is a work in progress:

1. Ioway/Chiwere language (with links and greetings):
http://www.ioway.org/language/language.html

2. Language Death, the paper by Louanne Furbee. I had a link originally, but
then the paper was removed. I put it up to help our tribal members understand
that it wasn't just the whiteman's school that caused the loss of our
language. It was also tribal factiousness.. we did it to ourselves. If
Louanne wants me to take it down, I will, but I hope she puts it up somewhere
so I can direct people to it. It's important to know how things really
happened:
http://www.ioway.org/language/chiweredeath.html

3. Counting in Ioway:
http://www.ioway.org/language/numbers.html

4. Colors in Ioway:
http://www.ioway.org/language/colors.html

5. Ioway Language Lesson 1 (with sentence analysis and vocabulary):
http://www.ioway.org/language/lang1coffee.html

6. Dorsey's text "Rabbit and Grasshoppers" from his original publication
(with interlinear translation). I did change the free translation some to
make it flow better in modern English:
http://www.ioway.org/language/rabbit.html

7. Gordon Marsh's "This Land Here" Otoe text from his original (I purchased
the microfilms from the American Philosophical Society), with a bit about
Marsh and Whitman, as well as interlinear and free translations. I used his
info on his informants, though there is differing info on the tribal
affiliations of Julia and Robert Small (Jimm GT can perhaps address this):
http://www.ioway.org/language/thisland.html

I see there is great discussion on Jiwele vs Chiwere. My impression is that
Otoe voiced a lot more than Ioway (Otoe: "taje" "wind" vs Ioway "tache", like
Lakota "tate").

The Dorsey "Chiwere/Chikiwere" is, I believe, on the first page of his "Omaha
Sociology" with the explanation of their meanings and use.

--
Lance Michael Foster
Email: ioway at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~ioway