clouds in Stoney

Bruce Ingham bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Fri Feb 16 16:10:23 UTC 2001

That's interesting they're cognate with the words for 'shade,
shadow' in Lakota, ohaNzi.  Do these then mean shadow of the
cloud on the mountains or forest?  Queen Victoria was referred to
as the Grandmother uNci or uNcis^i in Lakota and Canada as uNci
thamakhoche 'Grandmother land', but I'm sure you know that.
Presumably they've forgotten about Queen Vic.

Bruce