sky, turtle

Richard L. Dieterle Richard.L.Dieterle-1 at tc.umn.edu
Sat Feb 17 00:21:27 UTC 2001

The connection between WI ke, "sky," and ke, "turtle," is interesting. It could
be that WI ke meant "the vaulted one."  In one of the Redhorn Cycle myths, the
sons of Redhorn go on the warpath against two spirit beings who live beyond the
edge of the earth.  They have to cross the place where the sky meets the earth.
They say that at this place a loud banging noise arises from the rocking
sky-vault slamming against the rim of the earth.  This shows that at least some
of the WI believed that the sky is a solid vault.  However, Marino (from Radin's
notes) says that ke may also mean "frog," but a question mark is placed after
it.  I have yet to see ke as "frog" attested.  One form for "frog" is
wakaNaNshge (contemporary Wisc. WI), wakaNashke (Gatschet, Dorsey). Another of
the words for frog, toad is kewaxgu (contemporary WI, Lamere, Marino-Radin). The
contemporary Wisc. WI recognize kewashorocge as the word for "box turtle,"
however.   A very common form of "turtle" is kecaNk, caNk meaning, "great, big,
genuine, proper, etc."  Vide, shuNk, "canine, dog," vs. shuNkcaNk, "wolf (great
canine, canine proper)." It could be that kecaNk is meant to differentiate
turtles from frogs.  However, it may be the ke originally came to be applied to
frogs in derivation from the sense meaning "turtle."

Responding to the message of
<Pine.GSO.3.96.1010216021554.6503J-100000 at spot.colorado.edu>
from siouan at lists.colorado.edu: