[Fwd: poison ivy]

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Feb 21 19:25:16 UTC 2001

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, RLR wrote:
>  From the SSILA Newsletter:

It may be worth pointing out that there is no reason to expect terms in a
given language, English or Siouan, to map one-for-one to Linnaean species,
even when all the species in question occur locally.  Modern field guide
usage tends to suggest that there is one (or sometimes more) popular term
in each language for each Linnaean species, but this is an artificial
assumption of Linnaean taxonomic principles in non-Linnaean systems.

John Koontz