Nebraska

Mark Awakuni-Swetland mawakuni-swetland2 at unl.edu
Thu Feb 22 13:51:19 UTC 2001

Aloha All:
I've been listening in on the various conversations about poison ivy,
aspiration, and stellar objects. Quite interesting.

I will ask my Omaha Language class instructors about the Nebraska term.
Generally I have heard the elders gloss it as "flat", but some would swing
out the hand as though to simulate something spread out, too. No one
specifically suggested "shallow".

The Stabler lexicon listed shallow as "xe'be"
I will check the Dorsey lexicon to see what he offers for xe'be.

Stabler:lumber, board, floor, and tile are all glossed as "zhoNbthaska",
i.e., flat wood (or could we say "to lie flat"?)

Stabler: blackboard (classroom chalkboard) as "zhoNbthaska sabe"
i.e., flat black wood (or could we say "to lie flat black"?)

uthixide
Mark Awakuni-Swetland, Lecturer
Anthropology/Ethnic Studies
c/o Department of Anthropology-Geography
University of Nebraska
Bessey Hall 132
Lincoln, NE 68588-0368
Office 402-472-3455