Nebraska

Lance Foster ioway at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 22 14:36:55 UTC 2001

Ok.. I am trying to get a better handle of the s/th/hk trasnformation/shift
(in linguistics which term is used to describe the change in a phoneme over
time rather then in a particular linguistic setting) in IOM.

You say
"this would have to be in a very
conservative form, e.g., with -s- where most recent speakers would have
<theta> or <h> (preaspiration of k)"

To make sure I understand this right, the oldest descriptions in historic
word lists imply a "s" rather than a "th" and now you also see it as "x" (I
am assuming in this case it is not a true "x" but as you say a preaspiration
of "k").

Why do you think this change occurred and when? And what is the standard
practice in word lists when wanting to show such changes and recognizing the
variations in the various family dialects.

My Grandma spoke only a little IO from her parents, and my Uncle John learned
some from them as well and so I have been able to collect a short list of
words and expressions from that source as well. For example they were given
"Hinuu" as meaning "I'm afraid." One strange variation in pronunciation was
that "baxoje" was pronounced "paxoji"/"paxoci"/"pakoci" in our family dialect
from my Grandmother's Mother's side.

Lance

--
Lance Michael Foster