[Fwd: [Fwd: poison ivy]]

Bruce Ingham bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Thu Feb 22 17:07:23 UTC 2001

re Bob's reply to my note.  Yes I can understand descriptive names, things
 like for instance 'bindweed' kimimila thawanah^ca (butterfly flower)
which I suppose is because it looks like a butterfly or butterflies
like it and would also think of as a 'name' or 'maple' chanhasaN
(light bark tree) which describe the plant in terms of something
else, but  a plant name meaning 'it resembles another plant' seems
somehow uny such examples occur in other languages.

Bruce
PS
in the Middle East some of the new plants have the designation
'European' they call 'potatoes' apples of the erath (Turkish yer
elmasi, Persian sib zamini) and in Persian tomatoe is 'European
(Frankish) plum (goje farangi), starwberry is 'European mulberry'
(tut farangi).  Okra or egg plant among Arabian bedouins takes the
persian Badhenjan and reanalyzes it as Beedh Jann (Jinn egg).