h- vs. x-aspiration in LDN

Kathleen Shea kdshea at falcon.cc.ukans.edu
Thu Feb 22 20:09:08 UTC 2001

I've noticed a very "strong" aspiration, verging on x, in Ponca after t
before low back vowels, for instance in the word for 'Arapaho':  maxpi'
atHaN.  One speaker I work with says this means "standing on the clouds,"
(verb tHaN).

By the way, what is the etiquette when referring to speakers of a language
we're studying?  Should we protect their privacy by not mentioning their
names or should we give them credit for their valuable assistance?

Kathy