Baxoce

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Feb 22 21:01:09 UTC 2001

> > that "baxoje" was pronounced "paxoji"/"paxoci"/"pakoci" in our family dialect
>
> Lance,
>
> These are the variants I've found in my OED work, normalized
> orthographically (by me, a non-Siouanist, so beware!) All but the first
> are from English-language docs.
>
> paxote (French 1673, Fr. 1776)
> paxoje (1825, 1843)
> paxoce (1853, 1885)
> paxoci (1854)
> pakoTe (1877; T = theta)
>
> Alan

The version with theta may involve some sort of confusion over the meaning
of a symbol, as theta would not be expected.  C-cedilla was used by Dorsey
(BAE?) and LaFlesche for theta, but was used in Boas's Ponca Sketch for
edh, in lieu of Dorsey's cent-sign.  I think Dorsey used the cent-sign
because the Government Printing Office of his day lacked an edh in its
fonts.  Boas used c-cedilla because the Canadian printer didn't have a
cent-sign. In this case it seems likely that a c^ (or ts^) was meant.

It's interesting that the earliest forms also lack the affrication of t
before e.

JEK