Distant kins & -shit- :-)

Constantine Xmelnitski mosind at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 22 21:18:28 UTC 2001

Dear Siouanists:

I have three questions on Siouan kinship terms.
1. What are the terms for greatgrand-
fathers/mothers,and
2. What are the terms for distant relatives in
eachgeneration.

The possible ways out could be:

1) Using composite constructions, like "niyate
txunkashitku", your-father's his-grandfather,
orperhaps,
Maxpiya Luta txakozhakpaku atewaye -
Cloud-Redhis-grandchild father-I-have.for
2) Spreading closely-related kinsmen terms for distant
ones, as: all the men in my generation, not
recursively defined as my brothers - are called
cousins if they are blood relations, and
brothers-in-law if they are relatives by marriage.
Possible hint testifying that Soln #2 can be true is
the definition of Father-in-law (in Buechel's Lakota
Grammar as I recall): "Father-in-law and other men in
his generation, who are relatives of the spouse"