wa-i-khoshka?

RLR rankin at lark.cc.ukans.edu
Thu Feb 22 23:40:16 UTC 2001

> >wa  + i  + kho'shka
> >ABS  INS   infected

> --Guess that wa+i -> wi- coalescence should shift the
> stress to the initial syllable (as is in most (all?)
> other cases). Yet the entry in Buechel's dictionary has the stress
> according to Dakota Accent Rule:
> wikho'shka.

Thanks for the addition/correction. I agree in principle. That's how the
accentuation rule works. However, if the form was indeed folk-
etymologized the other way, i.e., as wi- 'female' plus khoshka 'VD',
then the accent may have shifted accordingly. I really have no way to
know, but it seems to me that both remain possibilities.