h- vs. x-aspiration in LDN

Kathleen Shea kdshea at falcon.cc.ukans.edu
Fri Feb 23 10:40:10 UTC 2001

Yes, Fletcher & LaFlesche do give the form Maxpi'ato ("blue clouds") for
both Arapaho and Kiowa on page 102 of the Omaha Tribe, and the word might
very well have been borrowed from Dakotan and reanalyzed, but I'm just
saying that there is strong aspiration in the Ponca word (and nasalization
of the last vowel).  I'm not sure about other aspirated stops before low
back vowels.  As you know, aspirated stops are somewhat rare in Omaha-Ponca,
occurring mostly in the definite articles (of which, of course, tHaN is
one).  The definite article akHa' doesn't have strong, velar aspiration, but
I seem to recall that the word for 'elk' does:  aNpHaN.  (I'm using H here
for a raised h, which is necessary in the standard orthography for Ponca.
Omaha writing differs only in that the low back nasal vowel is written oN
instead of aN in these examples.  Also, I don't think that any long vowels
are recorded in the Omaha standard writing currently being used.)  Actually,
I should have written a nasal vowel for the first vowel in the word for
Arapaho since that's what I heard:  maNxpi' atHaN.  I'll try to be on the
lookout for other examples.

Kathy