h- vs. x-aspiration in LDN

Carolyn cqcq at compuserve.com
Tue Feb 27 14:12:19 UTC 2001

Kathy:  Regarding the data you report below, could it be that the akHa
"continuative' endings occur when the speaker is in the presence of the
weather, that is, when he/she steps outside.  The references to the weather
spoken from indoors---such as the "i.e. take a coat" ones--occur when the
speaker is not in the presence of the weather.  I like this better than the
"momentaneous" explanation.  I haven't followed your entire discussion, so
you'll have to excuse me if I've repeated something someone else has
mentioned.
Carolyn

> > On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Kathleen Shea wrote:
>
> > a~'b(a) akha' ma~xpi'i  (AN'ba akHa' maNxpi'i.)    'The day is cloudy.'
(PW
> > says this is like a warning, i.e. to take a coat.)
> > a~'b(a) akha' ma~xpi' akha'  (AN'ba akHa' maNxpi' akHa'.)  'It's cloudy
out
> > there, here.'  (PW says that it's as though you
> > just noticed or just stepped outside and noticed.)
>
> > a~'ba the kke'dha  (AN'ba tHe ke'tha.)  'It's clear; today is clear.'
> > a~ba' akha kke'dha akha  (ANba' akHa ke'tha akHa.)  'It's clear out
there.'
> > (just noticed)

Yes, but the examples where the auxiliary akha is present after the verb
(ma~xpi 'be cloudy'; kkedha 'be clear') Dhegihanists usually call
"progressive," when they seem to me to be sudden, perhaps "momentaneous" in
aspect.  (At least it's a suddenly perceived state on the part of the
speaker.)

Kathy

<

Dr. Carolyn Quintero, President