Bear (Oral ~ Nasal Correspondences)

Lance Foster ioway at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 28 13:16:25 UTC 2001

Yes, to use a descriptive name rather than THE name is circumlocution (relates
to how a bear walks around a bush before crapping as my dad says). Also even
the word "bear" I think comes from the Germanic root that means "the brown
[one]".

In Ioway examples of this circulocution is not only "wathewe", but also "no
hair on the seat" "big foot" "big tracks" all of which in one story were used
to infuriate the bear.

One of the best examples I have seen describing this "talking around" the real
name of the Bear (and other powerful and spiritually dangerous animals) was in
the book on the Koyukon, "Make Prayers to the Raven : A Koyukon View of the
Northern Forest" by Richard K. Nelson. It relates to the relationship between
the hunter and the hunted, and the fact the Bear is so much like the human
being, frighteningly so when it is skinned. I am Bear Clan so all this is
fascinating to me.

Lance

--
Lance Michael Foster