Siouan, Caddoan, Iroquoian

BARudes at aol.com BARudes at aol.com
Wed Feb 14 21:10:00 UTC 2001

Dear Jess,

I once did a thorough examination of Wally's data in support of
Siouan-Iroquoian that he published in the American Anthropologist.  His
method was sloppy because he picked an chose data from Siouan languages
arbitrarily and he used internally reconstructed pre-Seneca, rather than
Proto-Iroquoian forms for comparison.  Of his sets, only about five had any
credibility once better data were used.  There are some reasonable
similarities between Siouan and Iroquoian at the lexical level (perhaps
borrowings), but very little at the grammatical level.  I would agree with
Bob that we need to wait until more comparative work has been done, in
particular on the relationship between Catawba, Yuchi and Siouan with one
another before we can bring Iroquoian into the picture.

Blair