another self-introduction

Lance Foster ioway at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 17 15:51:36 UTC 2001

I am glad to be here. I no longer live in Montana, as I work and live in
Santa Fe (for now anyway).

I look forward to talking about Chiwere and comparative Siouan with
everyone. I don't get to do much with it... other than talk to myself to
the best of my ability.. if you think people give you looks when you
talk English to yourself, think about when you talk IO aloud to yourself
(or clouds, deer, etc.)..hehe

I have an online group of 100+ members of the IO communities in which I
act as referee and collaborator. I hope to establish an active cultural
group, where language preservation and use is an important part. It will
be tricky as JGT knows, as there are so many family dialects,
interpersonal dynamics of sometimes opposing viewpoints, and so on. My
approach will have to be measured and considered carefully, as I have
made mistakes in the past and will no doubt continue to do so. I will
have to mend some fences I broke when I was younger and thought I knew
everything :-)

I am interested in whether or not Dr. Furbee has actually published her
Chiwere grammar, or if it just has the ISBN number at this time. I
emailed the publisher in Germany and haven't heard anything from them.
Does anyone know if it is out or when it will be out?

Lance

--
Lance Michael Foster
Email: ioway at earthlink.net