Sky and clouds

Bruce Ingham bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Tue Feb 20 08:22:26 UTC 2001

Thanks Richard.
  Yes amah^piyas^ni is something I should have thought of.  The
verb amah^piya occurs in Buechel's dictionary.  It confirms
something I 've always thought about learning languages, which is
that, if you've been working on a language for a few years, you
probably know all the words that you need to know, but if you are
not  exposed to it in an everyday context, you don't know the
context in which the words are used and keep looking for a new
word, where you don't really need to.
	I mentioned at the Siouan conference a couple of years
ago that my daughter, who learnt Persian as her first language, at
the age of 1 year 8 months had 30 verbs and about 50 nouns, but
seemed to be able to say absolutely everything that she needed to
with very passable grammatical correctness.  But then we all know
that it's easier for children.

Bruce

.   Date sent:      	Mon, 19 Feb 2001 10:35:35 -0600