h- vs. x-aspiration in LDN

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Feb 20 15:29:30 UTC 2001

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Constantine Xmelnitski wrote:
> As is known, Lakhota dialect of Dakotan has two
> variations of aspirated stops : weak (h-like), and
> strong (x-like). ...

In Dhegiha Osage has velar aspiration with p, t and k, i.e., not with c
(ts), which occurs instead of t before i, e, u.  If velar aspiration
occurs before i, e and, I think, u, i.e., after p and k, but not t, the
velar is x palatalized to s^.  So, ps^e, che, ks^e, ps^i, chi, ks^i, but
aNpxaN, petxaN, (a)kxa.  Of course, the bulk of Dakotan aspirates and
stop-stop cluster correspond to tense stops in Dhegiha, and these manifest
in Osage as preaspirates, which lack velarization.  Only a small
percentage of Dakotan aspirates correspond to (the few) aspirates in
Dhegiha languages.  In fact Dhegiha th generally matches h in Dakotan (cf.
pehaN for petxaN above).  MaNtho 'grizzly' has th in both.  I believe Kaw
is generally like Osage in having velar aspiration (except for having c^
affrication instead of c affrication), but Omaha-Ponca and Quapaw have
laryngeal aspiration.

I gather that velar aspiration also occurs in some other families, e.g.,
Athabascan, but I have never tracked down the details.

Apart from this, in Indo-European, compare High German pf, ts, kx as
developments of ph, th, kh.  You might call this "homorganic" aspiration.
I have also seen a discussion of ancient Greek corrspondence sets with ps,
ts, ks corresponding to aspirated ph, th, kh elsewhere in ancient Greek,
suggesting a sort of "sibilant" aspiration.