[Fwd: poison ivy]

Bruce Ingham bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Thu Feb 22 12:25:06 UTC 2001

With regard to the name
cha~iyuwi iyecheca, n. The Virginia creeper, the
> woodbine, the false grape, the American
> ivy or the five-leaved ivy. The vine family. The roots
> are bad.

Does any native speaker out there know if this really is a Lakota
'name' for the plant.  The literal translation of the name is 'it is like a
vine or twisting plant' ie it looks like an 'explanation' rather than a
name.  Certain entries like this in Buechel I did not put in my
English Lakota dictionary (ie I didn't put an entry for Virginia
creeper), because of a suspicion that they were not really 'names'
as such.  I hope in a sense that I was wrong, because the more
words Lakota has, the happier I will be.

Bruce