Bean/Bear/Circumlocution

RLR rankin at lark.cc.ukans.edu
Tue Feb 27 15:14:22 UTC 2001

> The bear derivation seems a bit farfetched.. maybe some terms for Bear are borrowed (the hunch- ones) but Bear is holoarctic, and the Cult of Bear goes back at least to Neanderthal times in Europe.

Sorry, it's only the hute/huNje/huuNc and the derived wa- or wi- plus
*huNte > muNte/oNti/muNje, etc. that I'm talking about coming from UA
languages.  The grizzly terms are strange, but seemingly native. There
was presumably a native term for the smaller, black bear everywhere,
but, as Lance and I have both said, they tend to be replaced by taboo.