Distant kins & -shit- :-)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Feb 28 07:19:57 UTC 2001

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Constantine Xmelnitski wrote:
> I have three questions on Siouan kinship terms.

I've been meaning to supply the reference for a comprehensive reference on
Siouan kinship systems:

Lesser, Alexander.  1958.  Siouan Kinship.  Ph.D. DIssertation, Columbia
Unversity.

I don't seem to have a DAI number.  This was based on fieldwork in the
late 1920s plus publications availble at the time of writing, and
published long after it was written.

There is also a comprehensive analysis of Siouan kinship terms by G.H.
Matthews.  I believe it appeared in American Anthropologist, but I've
misplaced the reference.